Fun Kid Food

Memorial Day is pretty much the opening ceremonies for summer, right? Even though my kiddos are not in school yet, it still feels good when it's officially summer. I think my mom always did a good job of making summer feel special, and I want to do that for my kids. We've been trying out some new kid-friendly foods I thought I would share. 


First up was squid dogs. I've been excited to try this ever since I saw it in Family Fun. I tried to keep the tentacles kind of short, and used ketchup and mustard to make a little sea scene for them. They were a big hit with Thing One. 


Next I wanted to try making mini corn dogs, by putting hot dog slices in mini corn muffins. Then I thought maybe it would be fun to have all different kinds of muffins, so I also made pizza (pepperoni and mozzarella), and taco (leftover taco beef, corn, and cheddar) ones. This would be good for families with kids who like different things. Everyone could have a flavor they liked! 


This last one was kind of a mistake. We had some friends over for dinner and I was going to make a couple different kinds of pizza. I thought I had a refrigerated crust, but when I went to use it, it was bread sticks. I remembered that I had seen this somewhere and I sprinkled them with mozzerella and sliced pepperoni and rolled them up. I think I baked them for about the same amount of time as the  package instructed.


Here's how they look after baking. Like a savory cinnamon roll. These were so good. Serve with tomato sauce and you are good to go.  Thing One really liked the "Pizza Rolls." If your kids are not too picky (or if you made this for a grown up appetizer) you could tuck some herbs like basil or oregano in there too.


I hope these ideas give you something new to try. 

Happy Memorial Day and thank you to all our veterans and current military. I am humbled by their sacrifices and truly grateful for all they do!

Thanks for reading!
-Haley

Comments

  1. I like how you incorporated the ketchup into your design. Really cute. I've done an octopus before. Will have to try these squids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! We are big fans of the squid dogs (or octopus dogs as they are called in our house), and I can't wait to try the others. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are loving the squid dogs!! :) So cute!! We are so glad you joined our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We love to see all of the great recipes and ideas!! Thanks and we hope to see you again next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look like their fun and delicious. Thank you so much for posting on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you’ll be back this week. Also, this would go great with the Summer Activities for Toddlers. I would love it, if you shared it there as well. (http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/summer-activities-for-toddlers) Thanks.
    -Mackenzie
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments will be posted after review

Popular Posts